Friday, May 22, 2015

Mphatso Group Today and Leaving Tomorrow

I realize that many of the adjectives that I have been using to describe this trip often do not come close to the actuality of my experience.  Pictures help, of course, but believe me when I say this has been an amazing trip for me.  And a very successful one for Knit Around the World. 

It's quite different coming to a new country, not for vacation, but to connect and try to better the lives of those living with HIV/AIDS.  With Kelly as my guide, I learned more about knitting and crocheting patterns, marketing ideas for both Malawi and the US, and being patient with bureaucracies (this I knew already from the States but in foreign countries, there's always a new wrinkle or two).  I learned to board, be cramped, and disembark a minibus.  I learned that you can actually ride on the cushioned back of a bicycle and live to tell the tale.  I learned that you can capture mosquitoes inside your mosquito net, much to your annoyance.  I learned (again!) how to say no to the various sellers on the street and in the markets.  And, finally, I learned how warm the people of Malawi are and how you never stop smiling here. 

Today we visited the Mphatso group.  As you know, Kelly brings new pattern and item ideas to all the groups.  The Mphatso group was the first group to solve the bowl made from plastic wrappers.  Here's a picture of the bowl that Kelly purchased in the US from Darn Good Yarn and is made by Indian women.



And here's the Mphatso version (note - there are some of Kelly's Kit-Kat wrappers in here):

I am so impressed with these women and their ability to look at a pattern and then replicate it.  They are also working on a version that will be a tray.  We cannot wait to see it!

Once again Kelly was our model for new products.  A hat that the group had originally made in a infant size, in an adult size.  And a tie made from VHS tapes.  The group also makes bags, hats and small purses from VHS tapes.










And, then it was time to go.  One final group picture with Kelly as we waited for the driver.  They are holding the orange bags full of items that we bought for sale in the US.





The work of Knit Around the World is making a direct impact on these lives.  Your donation is doubled in the month of May and no donation is too small.  Please consider donating at Knit Around the World.  


It's been an honor and a blessing to have had the opportunity to meet these groups.  And many thanks to the best daughter-in-law for inviting me and bringing me here. 

Leaving tomorrow morning!  Goodbye to Malawi!


No comments:

Post a Comment