Wednesday, May 6, 2015

My First Trip to Africa

Last year, when I retired, the first thing Kelly did was invite me to come to Malawi with her for Knit Around The World.  Ah, the joys of retirement!

I was really excited about this trip and couldn't sleep too well the night before - which was good because there was plenty of time to sleep on the flights.  We've arrived just after the rainy season was over, so it's really green here.  There's a beautiful passion fruit vine just outside the kitchen door.  And the night we had a power outage for an hour, you could see the stars and the bright full moon.



Malawians are very friendly and warm.  After all, Malawi is called "The Warm Heart of Africa."  When I met the members of the Chisomo group and interviewed them, they were very understanding about my difficulty with spelling their names.  We had many a laugh over that (and I reminded them that Trevithick was no piece of cake).  It turns out that one of the Chisomo members is also named Jane and we were joking that Kelly had two mothers-in-law.  I am quite impressed with the talents of these knitters.  Kelly was showing some samples and swatches and they quickly understood the patterns.  They are committed to their group and KATW and many of them told me to thank the donors and that they were anxious to get their next knitting machine to increase their customer base.



We've been walking a lot, which is a great way to get your vitamin D.  The weather is lovely, very sunny and not very humid.  In Malawi, they drive on the left like the UK.  Even when I go to London, it takes a few days to look in the correct direction.  There are many paths but not much actual sidewalk, so you are sharing the road often and the cars can come close.  Kelly is a great guide since she's been here before, so that's a big help for a geographically challenged person like myself.  Minibuses are a relatively inexpensive way to get around but they are an experience!  They are minivans that have been modified to jam as many people and their belongings.  As you drive along, you get to see more of the countryside. 

We're visiting more groups Thursday and Friday.  And I will get to do more interviews.  What an honor to get to know these people.


No comments:

Post a Comment