Friday, August 16, 2013

My Last Day


This has been my last day in Malawi as I am flying out tomorrow morning.  It’s definitely bittersweet.  I have had a great time here but, of course, will be happy to be back in D.C.

Oddly enough, these past two weeks have felt like months but the end date has crept up all of a sudden.  I feel as though we have become very acquainted with the area and local practices and almost feel that we live here.   We have also accomplished a lot in these first two weeks.  Before coming, we didn’t have a definite group to work with, but now we have more than 45 people connected with Knit Around the World, and we have seen signs that the skill we have taught and promoted will help their standard of living and help them care better for their families.  It has also been very rewarding and enjoyable working with the HIV/AIDS support groups.  However, it has not been without challenges.  Trying to communicate with out speaking the local language and being a racial minority in a community with very little diversity has been difficult but a great learning and eye opening experience.

As I leave, I’m finally getting used to being called an “Azungu” every time I walk down the street, to the treacherous minibus rides which I still feel lucky enough to have survived, to the swarm of flies and mosquitoes that can’t be escaped (even when your bed is tented with mosquito nets), and to the city closing down at 6 PM.  I am definitely going to miss the friendly and positive attitudes, the friends we have made, the local culture, and everything in between.

Thanks again to all those who donated to make this trip possible, everyone who has followed us loyally on the blog, and to Kelly for the amazing work she has done to make this trip a success.  I’m sure Kelly and Matt, who will join her on Sunday, will make even better progress in the following 2 weeks!

1 comment:

  1. ...and thank you (Natasha, Kelly and Matt) for volunteering in a challenging situation and for sharing your input and for your wonderfully insightful observations.

    ReplyDelete