Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Returning to Zebra to work with Support Group 1

Matt and I went back to Zebra where Chisomo PLHIV Support Group (Support Group 1) is to check on their progress and talk to them about budgeting and advertising. I've never seen so many dedicated knitters, we were able to buy 41 scarves from this group just today. They are so hard working and excited to knit and help assist themselves and the group, it's truly inspirational. During this meeting I gave the group the baby blanket swatches that they can replicate or gather inspiration for their own patterns. I learned that the group members are interested in knitting socks, and for any knitter you know how cumbersome and difficult this can be to knit. I'm not quite sure how I will address this next week because it's very advances and unfortunately they don't have double pointed needles nor tiny circular needles so I might suggest tube socks. Any suggestions are appreciated, although I admit I'm not a huge fan of knitting socks, I prefer stockings where I only have to make one. Here is a preview of only some of the scarves they  made:
I can't get over how fantastic they look! I can't wait to order the advertising sign for this group, I know they are going to sell a lot with this wonderful work that they have knitted.
Matt worked with Martin and Amos regarding an example budget for the group and after we purchased the scarves he went over how to input the information so they know how much to pay each member and how much should go to purchasing yarn and needles as well as how much they should be saving. We mentioned that they might want to expand outside their local market and try to sell in Old Lilongwe because they can raise the prices there and get bigger exposure to more people.

It was a great success today and I know tomorrow will be just as productive if not more so, I can't wait until they see their advertising sign!

No comments:

Post a Comment